After spending a lot of time got stuck in traffic jam in Seoul, I felt it really not funny, sometimes even frustrating, to drive in Seoul ?. For me, the best way to travel in the city is to take the subway (지하철 metro) and walk. There are a lot of information online for tourists how to use the subway, e.g. from the Seoul Metro site. But here are my additional 5 tipps for you after using the subway multiple times.
1. How to plan your route?
You can easily get a subway map everywhere: from your guide book, from a tourist map, google maps, etc. However, the subway network in Seoul is incredibly huge, that’s why you may need a magnifier to read all station names on those maps.
What you would need is “Naver map” – an smartphone app that is available in itunes and google play. Comparing it to other navigation apps such as Google or Apple maps, there are a lot of advantages:
- Route calculation possible for driving with car, taking subway or busses, riding bicycle or walk
- You can enter destinations in English or set it via map
- You can easily share a Naver map link to the destination with your family and friends
- Routes can be calculated in most case. That sounds strange, but with Google or Apple maps, you may face the problem that the route cannot be calculated
- Alternative routes are available for you to pick the best
- While traveling with subway, this map will show you also which entrance and exit should be taken to reach the destination fastest.