After spending a lot of time got stuck in traffic jam in Seoul, I felt it really not funny, sometimes even frustrating, to drive in Seoul 😤. For me, the best way to travel in the city is to take the subway (지하철 metro) and walk. There are a lot of information online for tourists how to use the subway, e.g. from the Seoul Metro site. But here are my additional 5 tipps for you after using the subway multiple times.
1. How to plan your route?
You can easily get a subway map everywhere: from your guide book, from a tourist map, google maps, etc. However, the subway network in Seoul is incredibly huge, that’s why you may need a magnifier to read all station names on those maps.
What you would need is “Naver map” – an smartphone app that is available in itunes and google play. Comparing it to other navigation apps such as Google or Apple maps, there are a lot of advantages:
- Route calculation possible for driving with car, taking subway or busses, riding bicycle or walk
- You can enter destinations in English or set it via map
- You can easily share a Naver map link to the destination with your family and friends
- Routes can be calculated in most case. That sounds strange, but with Google or Apple maps, you may face the problem that the route cannot be calculated
- Alternative routes are available for you to pick the best
- While traveling with subway, this map will show you also which entrance and exit should be taken to reach the destination fastest.